Beach house
EnableLogo on white STACKED RGB6


19 September 2017

If you rent out your holiday home sometimes, you may have to pay tax on that income.

The IRD says you have a “mixed-use” holiday home if, during the tax year, you use it for:

  • Private use, and
  • Income-earning use, and
  • It’s unoccupied for 62 days or more.

It is still private use if you receive rent from family members, or from non-family members who pay less than 80 percent of market rates.

The property becomes “income-earning” if you get rent from non-family members at 80 percent or more of market rates.

You can keep the property outside the tax system if it’s privately owned, and your income-earning revenue is less than $4,000 a year. But then you can’t claim any of your related expenses.

You can also remain outside the tax system if you make a loss, and your gross income from income-earning use is less than two percent of the property’s rateable value. If you make a loss from your mixed-use holiday home, there are rules around how and if that loss can be used. 

Please contact us if you have any questions. 



Subscribe to our newsletter & receive extensive business tips that will help you achieve your business goals in 2020.